WELCOME TO THE DELAWARE PERSONAL FINANCE CHALLENGE
High School Division State Finals prizes:
First Place $500 for each student + teacher!
Second Place $250 for each student + teacher!
Middle School Division Online prizes:
3x First Place $75 prizes
3x Second Place $25 prizes
The Personal Finance Challenge tests student knowledge on topics related to Earning Income & Protecting and Insuring, Using Credit & Buying Goods and Services, and Saving & Financial Investing. Every high school teacher in Delaware teaching a Personal Finance course or program (such as Keys to Financial Success) that covers the topics listed above may have students compete in the High School Division. Every middle school teacher who teaches the DE Financial Literacy Standards is invited to have student teams compete in the Middle School Division. Teachers may create as many student teams as they'd like, and the Center for Economic Education and Entrepreneurship will pay all registration and participation fees.
If you are new to the Personal Finance Challenge, welcome! Whether you teach middle or high school, you will need to select "Teacher Registration" from the menu and create your teacher profile. Once your profile is created, you will be able to login and begin creating your student teams.
If you are a returning high school teacher, welcome back! Your profile information is saved from your previous participation, and you can log in to begin creating your student teams for this year's Online PFC.
The Challenge dates:
- Now through February 26, 2024 - Click on Teacher Registration to register.
- February 26 - March 28, 2024 - Middle School and High School Divisions Online Competition - teams log on at their own school.
- April 24, 2024 - State High School Division Semi-Finals and Finals (in person)
Students in the Middle School Division compete only in the online competition.
Each high school teacher is invited to send one team to participate in the State High School Division Semi-Finals. The top two teams from the Semi-Finals will advance to the High School Finals.
Good luck to all student competitors. The FinanceChallenge ONLINE! is a great way to flex your financial literacy muscles and participate with students from across Delaware in an exciting and fun competition.
Contact us if you need information or assistance.
Below are some great resources to help you get started:
- Take the online practice test by clicking the "PRACTICE" button to the left or https://financechallenge.unl.edu/Delaware/Practice
- The 2021 National Standards for Personal Finance Education from the Council for Economic Education and Jump$tart Coalition for Personal Financial Literacy: https://www.councilforeconed.org/policy-advocacy/k-12-standards/
- Bank of America, in partnership with KHANACADEMY, has created an interactive online tool for learning about personal finance topics. Go to https://bettermoneyhabits.bankofamerica.com/en to find out more.
- The Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis has a PDF version of a set of flashcards containing personal finance questions at: https://www.stlouisfed.org/~/media/Education/Lessons/pdf/printable-personal-financeflashcards.pdf
- The Econedlink Virtual Economics website allows you to access 51 economic and financial literacy concepts videos. Each video is between 2 and 5 minutes and has a 5-question quiz. To access the eight personal finance videos, click https://www.econedlink.org/resources/?type%5B%5D=12&subjects%5B%5D=13&view=grid.